FAQ – Travel Tips…

Average Daylight Hours here at Redfish Lodge

In June the average amount of daylight is nineteen hours. While the sun briefly dips below the horizon, its glow illuminates the sky until it reappears a few hours later. This makes for long, beautiful evenings with plenty of light. About the time the leaves begin to turn their brilliant fall colors, we experience a rapid decrease in light. December has an average of five hours of daylight. With the passing of the winter solstice, the cycle begins again.

Driving Tips

Alaska and Canada will honor a valid driver’s license, from any state or country, for 90 days after entry. Seat belts must be worn by all drivers and passengers in all areas of Alaska. All children under age four, regardless of weight, must ride in a federally approved child safety seat. Most remote stretches of the Seward and Sterling highways require that motorists must drive with headlights on at all times.

Winter visitors to Alaska need not worry too much about road conditions, while snow is always a factor the Alaska Department of Transportation has been maintaining roads in these conditions for years. Their system is safe, efficient, and effective. If you prefer to have some added precautions, studded tires are allowed in Alaska September through April. In the springtime, be careful of frost heaves, large indentations in the pavement, the larger heaves can break an axle. If there is a line of traffic behind your vehicle of five vehicles or greater the law requires you to pull over and let them pass.

Traveling through Canada:Redfish Lodge

Due to changing legislation regarding border crossing requirements, it is recommended that U.S. Citizens traveling between the United States and Canada have a current passport. Please visit the U.S. Customs office at http://www.cbp.gov/ for updated identification requirements well in advance of your trip. For additional information visit: www.cbp.gov

Persons under 18 not accompanied by both parents must carry a notarized letter from their legal guardian and/or the other parent granting permission to travel to Canada.

Persons under 18 not accompanied by both parents must carry a letter from their legal guardian and/or the other parent granting permission to travel to Canada.

Be prepared to show proof of insurance and vehicle registration or rental papers.

Dogs and cats may be transported through Canada as long as you have proof of current rabies vaccination. A health certificate is also recommended, as it may be required by U.S. border officials when entering from Canada.

You may not be able to enter Canada if you have a criminal record (this includes DUIs).

Caution: When driving the AlCan Highway in the off season, October through April, many businesses are not yet open. ALWAYS HAVE AN EMERGENCY GAS TANK ON HAND. For more information visit www.northtoalaska.com


You may carry firearms for protection or hunting in Alaska. Airline passengers must declare their firearms and check them as baggage. Unloaded rifles may be mailed to Alaska, if sent to a federal firearm licensee (check with the U.S. Postal Service for shipping requirements). Mailing handguns or ammunition is prohibited. For further information contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, or call (907) 271-5701.